Monday, February 2, 2009

Oregon Adventures: Hwy 101

January 17 started off as a lazy Saturday morning. We had wanted to try to spend some time at the coast the weekend before but the kids had gotten sick. Hyrum and Tiana made up for that with a small mini-visit to a little cove and look-out right on the coast past a city called Charleston.

This Saturday however Hyrum suddenly got and idea to pack us all up and head up the coast to Lincoln City. I was so excited. A whole weekend trip up the coast. Just what I had been waiting for since we got here. I packed up our stuff and Tiana packed them. Tiana wasn't feeling well so she laid down for a nap. An hour passed, and with no indication we were leaving anytime soon Hyrum discouragingly said maybe we'll do it next weekend. I was really disappointed, and by that time just wanted to be out of the house for a while. I took the kids for a long walk, and on our way back I get a call from John asking me to hurry back cuz we were getting ready to leave. I found out later that Tiana got up from resting, and when she saw no one was getting into the cars to leave she put her foot down and said lets get the show one the road. She said, and I quote "I hate packing for nothing, and if I have to pack we're going some where." So we did!~


So off we went. It was 3pm, and we didn't have a lot of time for a ton of site seeing. We made a few stops along the way before we came upon Newport where we stayed for the night. We first stopped in front of the largest Sand Dunes in the country. It spans from Coos Bay all the way up to Florence, OR. John is dying to get a bike into those hills...



This is a picture of the bridge just outside Coos Bay. The sand dunes were on my left.



next we stopped at a look out where we could see the Umpua light house, and a small Oyster farm. It was interesting to see the triangle jet out from the coast line into the sea!~




Our next stop was a top a large cliff. Across the way was a beautiful Lighthouse called Heceta Head Lighthouse . Beneath us the waves were crashing hard, and seals were riding the waves in groups. It was so awesome to watch.





Before we reached Newport for the night we finally came upon a stop that had beach access. I was super excited since walking on the beach is my favorite part. I never caught the name of the place, but it was beautiful just the same. We took amazing sunset shots, and just watching the sunset into the ocean was an awesome site. Braxton was obsessed with throwing rocks into the ocean. He was determined to get the biggest ones he could and hurl them through the air. Granite they never went very far, but we give him an A for effort, and the look on his face when he picked them up and ran toward the water was hysterical!




Click on this on to enlarge it....His face is priceless
/











Once we reach the hotel room we all settled into our rooms. The kids seemed to be wired, so once again we joined the two families for some TV time and the kids play like Crazy. I treated Tiana to a foot rub since I know how carrying a baby can put a strain on your body, plus she has a 1yr old to carry around on top of that.




This is proof that Hyrum secretly wants my Husband. ... You know it's true Hyrum, you can't deny it any longer. I HAVE THE PROOF!~ SEEEEE ;)

Day two ~ be continued!~

3 comments:

Cindi said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! :D

Tiana Johnson said...

Good times!!! We had a blast with you. You guys are fun to travel with! I didn't realize Hyrum would finally let his emotions be known! Now the cat's out of the bag!

Anonymous said...

We really do miss you. Not trying to make you feel quilty about staying. Just made for a sucky
b-day present. I actually have never seen you both so happy. Keep the blog up and I will survive. After all you know dad and I love road trips. I have followed him all over the counrty for work! What is one more!!!Love you all so very much